Monday 2 January 2012

Growth - needs a strategy and should be country driven


When I look at the Portuguese President New Year's address, I start by agreeing with it - and then think it is a rather short message. The President is saying that Portugal should have a voice to demand growth to the European Union - I say that's wrong.

Who reads my blog knows that I am a strong europeist - I clearly defend the need of more political integration. But I think Portugal shouldn't rely on "having a voice" - we need to put together our own growth, and have some alignment with the EU. If we wait for Europe to decide on growth strategy for its countries, the answer will be too late, too slow, too focused on the big countries and too ineffective, disregarding country's competitive advantages. Portugal needs to take the growth problem on its own hands - like Ireland did!

And, just let me stress it once again - growth is not an easy subject. Growth needs a well thought strategy and fast and efficient execution. Will someone (like the President) kick-off a national long-term growth strategy?

No comments: