Wednesday 10 December 2008

I feel deeply shocked

I just went to a mass market store, an Auchan one right in the centre of Lisbon. In the gift-wrapping queue, I had the rare opportunity of having an eye-opener. There was a person there, asking the clerk to wrap some gifts: a shower gel, a deo and a soap bar. All wrapped separately. What I usually consider to be primary needs goods, for that person, were a worthy gifts.

Sometimes, but seldomly, I have the unique opportunity of living an eye-opener event. This time, I had the feeling of living on a privileged golden-World… and struggling to understand how the rest 90% of the Portuguese Population that has a lower income live.

"Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity, nothing exceeds the criticisms made of the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well-warmed, and well-fed." - Herman Melville

No comments: